You can remove a background from a picture to highlight the subject of the picture or to remove distracting detail. There are two methods for removing background in PowerPoint.
Set Transparent Method
- Open a blank presentation
- Insert picture onto your slide
- Select the picture
- Go to Picture Tool Format Menu
- And find Color, Select Transparent colour tool
- Go to slide and click and select the area which is supposed to be removed
This method does have few limitations in case if the image doesn’t have a sharp background or has a gradient in the background. This method is effective only when with simple and straightforward pictures.
Remove background Method
- Go to blank presentation
- Insert a picture onto a slide
- Go to Picture Format Menu
- Select Remove background
- Click on the picture
- Go to Refine group and click on ‘Mark Areas to Remove’
- Your cursor will turn into a Pen
- By default, PowerPoint will select the background to remove
- Now, Select Mark Areas to Keep, then with pen select the area you want to keep.
- Zoom and tune it to get beter results.
- Once you are done Click Keep Changes in the Close group.
- To Save the edited picture
- Right-click the image and click Save as Picture to save your newly revised image as a separate file.
TIP: Neither of these methods work for vector graphics such as Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG), Adobe Illustrator Graphics (AI), Windows Metafile Format (WMF), and Vector Drawing File (DRW).